Re: sgml aequivalent of html <br>

From: "Kai Blin" <k.blin@gmx.net>
>       <para>
>         <literallayout>
>         In your .muttrc add the following:
>         set certificate_file =  ~/.mutt_certificate
>         Also, you'll have to change you mailbox names.
>         So, given the previous example, change it from
>           {imap.example.com}inbox
>         <emphasis>  {imap.example.com/ssl}inbox</emphasis>
>         Repeat this for all
>         your mailboxes.
>         Thats it.
>         </literallayout>
>       </para>

You are putting WAY too much inside the <literallayout> tags! Try:

<para>
  In your <filename>.muttrc</filename add the following:

  <programlisting>
    set certificate_file =  ~/<filename>.mutt_certificate</filename>
  </programlisting>

  Also, you'll have to change you mailbox names.
  So, given the previous example, change it from
  {imap.example.com}inbox
  <emphasis>  {imap.example.com/ssl}inbox</emphasis>
  Repeat this for all
  your mailboxes.
  Thats it.
</para>

Note that I also tagged ".muttrc" and ".mutt_certificate" as a <filename>.
This meta-data will cause the font to be set appropriately, and also allow
references to be included in a filename index. This kind of indexing is one
of my goals for the future, and one of the reasons I like DocBook in the
first place.

Note also that some people would prefer <literallayout> to <programlisting>
here, but I like <programlisting> because configuration files are, in some
ways, similar to program code. And there is no tag, that I know of, for the
contents of other files, such as config files. Does anybody know otherwise?

I don't know about the {imap.example.com} stuff. Is that also part of a
configuration file? If so, it should be wrapped in <programlisting> I
*think*. Others on the list are more expert at DocBook than I.

Note to Ferg, who just posted his own reply: I don't think <screen> is
appropriate for file contents, but rather <literallayout>, or, even better,
<programlisting>. <screen> should be applied to program *output*, i.e., what
displays on the <screen>(!), not config files.

HTH,

--
David C. Merrill, Ph.D.
Linux Documentation Project