Re: Navigation, was Re: Idea : common dir and tree

[ I am back from holidays with tons of emails in front of me. This
will take time... ]

Miroslav Skoric wrote:
[tree structure deleted for brevity]

> Gentle folks,
>
> It looks to me that you have a big problem. I consider you as 'gurus' of
> Linux. I also consider you don't need (almost) all HOWTOs because you
> *know* Linux. But, do you think of all those newbies who should be able
> to find HOWTOs and all other documents as soon as possible? A newbie is
> not familiar with a /usr directory. A newbie is not familiar with a
> /share directory etc etc. Instead of that I think it would be advisible
> to avoid so complicated tree and put HOWTOs and other documents in a
> /doc or /help directory. I can't understand why a simple /doc directory
> is not placed anymore.

We are limited by the standards that define what directories
go where and what they contain and that means we cannot use
directories like /doc or /help. Instead we have to use /usr/share/doc/
which does follow the standards.

The standards are based on 30 years of experiences and cannot
be changed without a lot of complications. Instead we will use
other methods of helping the user in locating information such
as man pages, predefined bookmarks and searchable indices.

In fact if you are using the very latest man page set you will
now be able to type 'man -k help' and immediately get a pointer
to the LDP and the HOWTOs.

If you have other ideas on how to help the newbie in locating
the information I'd like to hear more about it.

Regards,
   Stein Gjoen