Re: Navigation, was Re: Idea : common dir and tree

Dan Scott wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, Greg Ferguson wrote:
> > > Tree structure (FHS compliant, ref http://www.pathname.com/fhs/ ):
> > >
> > > /
> > >   usr/
> > >     share/
> > >        HOWTO/        - the HOWTOs in HTML format goes here
> > >          index.html  - Our cover page (*)
> > >          00-index    - a contents list for file and FTP browsers
> > >          (other relevant pages linked to from index.html above)
> > >          text/       - same HOWTOS but as plain text
> > >          PDF/        - same HOWTOS but as PDF
> > >          PostScript/
> > >          SGML/

Gentle folks,

It looks to me that you have a big problem. I consider you as 'gurus' of
Linux. I also consider you don't need (almost) all HOWTOs because you
*know* Linux. But, do you think of all those newbies who should be able
to find HOWTOs and all other documents as soon as possible? A newbie is
not familiar with a /usr directory. A newbie is not familiar with a
/share directory etc etc. Instead of that I think it would be advisible
to avoid so complicated tree and put HOWTOs and other documents in a
/doc or /help directory. I can't understand why a simple /doc directory
is not placed anymore.

Misko