Re: if SGML is so great...

Taketoshi Sano wrote:

> Hi.
>
>   at Fri, 05 May 2000 17:50:05 +0200,
>  Stein Gjoen <sgjoen@mail.nyx.net> writes:
>
> > My long time goal of document accessibility and integration
> > have made me think we need tags for
> >
> > man pages: <manpage section="1">du</manpage>
> > that renders to du(1) in plain text and adds hyperlinks to HTML
> > pages and adds to the RELATED list in stub man pages. Some
> > commands have multiple man pages, such as mount(2) and mount(8)
> > so a section number is needed.
>
> This will be difficult task for Linuxdoc DTD. Just conditional
> writing can be done with the current sgml-tools v1, but "to include
> the output from the command" may not be done without some work-around.

Embedding entire man pages would be impractical, what I
had in mind was to add the equivalent of
	http://www.ctyme.com/linuxdoc/MAN0291.htm
that is linking rather than embedding. The type of link
would be installation/distribution dependent and might require
post processing. I use Debian at home and that distribution
has cgi-scripts for rendering man pages into HTML and I
would guess most other distributions have similar features.

> > HOWTO: <howto>Multi Disk HOWTO</howto>
> > that renders to links to that HOWTO in the HTML pages
> > and adds to the RELATED list in stub man pages.
> >
> > In addition I wish the <file> tag rendering was changed to
> > file:///pathoffile URL in the HTML document, shown in courier
> > or similar font. This too would be handy in stub man pages.
>
> You can use:
>
>  <htmlurl url="file:///pathoffile" name="some file">
> or
>  <url url="file:///pathoffile">
>
> Is it not sufficient ?

This is what I use but I feel it is missing the markup
purposes of SGML in indicating this is a file. Is
legal LinuxDoc DTD?

Also for file- and command-names I feel courier or similar
font is more convenient. If all this could be embedded
in the <file> tag it could be convenient.

> > Rendering of the hyperlinks would be installation dependent,
> > so on the LinuxDoc web pages it would refer to sample files
> > wheras on a home system it would point to the actual file.
>
> Perhaps, conditional writing can be used here.

It is possible we have to use post compilation scripts.

Regards,
   Stein Gjoen