LDP search capability

Search functionality has been implemented for the LDP. This utilizes
the freeWAIS-sf-2.2.10 search toolkit (wrapped with some of my own
code), and provides for searching *all* HTML documents on the LDP
site (web pages, guides, howtos, linux gazette, mailing list archives,
etc) - 8479 documents total, to be exact.

Some details follow, for those interested:

    Stemming during indexing is performed. I've also implemented
    a title-only search. One thing that is missing is the document
    summary info, which I'll work on in the future. Currently, I
    report the document's title, filename (relative to the LDP root),
    score (based on the wais ranking algorithm), file modified date
    and size. Boolean constructs are allowed during the search (and/or).

    If you are coming from a mirrored site, the search is performed
    on www.linuxdoc.org, but the individual results (URLs) will point
    you *back* to the mirrored site from which you came. I understand
    that doing that may be somewhat problematic if the mirrored site
    is out of sync with the master LDP site on metalab, but I also felt
    that the benefits of performance (retrieving the actual docs from
    the mirrored site you are accessing) outweighed any potential
    negatives. Correct me if I'm wrong in my assumption.

Please provide comments/feedback to me. We need to add a link to
the search page from the home page, but until then, you can access
it via : http://www.linuxdoc.org/search.html

best regards,

--
Greg Ferguson     - s/w engr / mtlhd         | gferg@sgi.com