Re: translation issue for web site

On Fri, 10 Sep 1999, P Jenner wrote:

> 	http://www.XX.linuxdoc.org/YY/
>
> 	should be a mirror of translation YY in all countries XX.

Seems the best possible setup to me. Wether or not a particular language
is at all opportune at a given mirror site can then be decided by the site
maintainer based on actual hits.

However in such a case the webmaster should redirect to the proper place.

This would mean that sites having say 10 hits per month on a certain
language that takes up multi megabytes of files would not have to carry
along a lot of slack.

The use of proper redirection should be mandatory in case a certain
language is not mirrored.

For example:

Let us assume we have a Dutch site www.nl.linux.org. And assume there is
an active Russian group writing and translating lot's of documents.

There will propably be very little people wanting to read Russian
documents in the Netherlands.

So the webmaster decides to redirect hits to http://www.nl.linux.org/ru/
to http://www.ru.linux.org/ru/

This would free the site from keeping up with the Russian group that is
actively writing documents and the site would not have to spend precious
bandwith on keeping up with documents that are not used for months on that
particular server. This would also save precious diskspace.

Regards,
Hugo.

hvdkooij@caiw.nl	http://home.kabelfoon.nl/~hvdkooij/