RE: What happened to <varname>?

What does your SGML declaration look like.  For DocBook 3.1, it should be
<!DOCTYPE book PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook V3.1//EN">
Assuming that that is correct, does nsgmls -o give any errors on validating
that document?  Unfortunately, I haven't finished installing all of the
needed tools on Win32, so I can't check what my tools say.  However,
according to the DTD, that is certainly allowed.
	Greg