Re: Cataloging LDP

Greg Ferguson wrote:

> We have the HOWTOs categorized/sorted in a multitude of different ways:
>
> - By Category (linux os, sys admin, h/w, networking, etc.):
>        http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/categories.html
>
> - By (Modify) Date:
>        (recent updates) http://www.linuxdoc.org/sorted_howtos.html
>        (full list) http://www.linuxdoc.org/sorted_howtos_full.html
>
> - Alphabetically:
>        (by title) http://www.linuxdoc.org/sorted_howtos_title.html
>        (by filename) http://www.linuxdoc.org/sorted_howtos_quick.html
>
> - By Type (HOWTO/mini-HOWTO)
>        http://www.linuxdoc.org/sorted_howtos_type.html
>
> - Master Indexed List w/descriptions, date:
>        http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/howtos.html
>
> Most of these lists are derived from attributes stored in the
> SGML source files.

It seems clear, though, that we need much more than that. Suppose
a user is trying to solve a specific problem. For example, he wants
to add some NFS services to his network and is concerned about
security implications, administrative problems, etc.

He can perhaps find the NFS HowTo and Security Guide easily enough,
either via the Category or Alpha indexes. Great. Those are likely
the main things he needs.

Finding the other things he might need is much harder. At the very
least, I'd want to look at everywhere NFS is mentioned in any doc.

Is there a note in the RAID or Multi-disk HowTo about some obscure
interaction with NFS I need to avoid? Does one of the Network Admin
docs cover NFS admin issues? Does the Boewulf stuff have useful
info on NFS with huge numbers of clients? If I have Windows
clients, what document (if any) gives guidance for the NFS versus
Samba choice?

Yes, I know how to use grep, I can guess where to look for at
least the issues I can think of (if I have time), and there's some
hope the NFS HowTo writer put in all the right links (if he or she
had time, and thought of them, and the HowTo is up to date), but
I still want a good index.

Indexing the HowTos likely isn't enough either. One question that
might require more is:

Do I need to take steps to synchronise times on my servers if I'm
going to use make or CVS on NFS disks? If so, where is that
documented? The make man page? Make docs in info format?
CVS docs which may not even be on LDP?