Re: Making It Easy For New Authors (was Re: Style Guide)

jdd wrote:

> Le mar, 10 oct 2000, Martin WHEELER a écrit :
> > On Tue, 10 Oct 2000, jdd wrote:
> >
> > > may be it could be wordperfect, as somebody proposed some time ago
> >
> > I should forget Wordperfect as from now on.
> > (Wordperfect is a Corel product; Microsoft now owns 25% of Corel; what
> > chance Wordperfect against Word?  Consider past behavioural patterns of
> > the companies concerned, and get real.)
> >
> > Just my totally biased opinion, of course.
>
> I don't know where you saw that corel is partly microsoft property. Corel
> released many linux products. However, the name of the wp is for me of no
> importance. We need one making sgml simple, that's all. there are not so
> many.

MS just gave a load of cash to Corel to keep them afloat.  I can dig up some
press releases and whatnot, but that's besides the point.

WordPerfect for Linux for doing SGML writing isn't really an answer.  For one thing,
Poet reports that the Linux version doesn't even support SGML writing.  The Windows
version is rather hard to use (or it was about 9 months ago when I tried).

In terms of SGML editors, I recommend psgml for emacs (if you lean that way) and
gvim for you vi folk (if you lean the other way).  Having AbiWord support DocBook XML
would be a real plus.  In the meantime, we're pretty much stuck with non-WYSIWTM
editors.

-Mark