Re: Cataloging LDP

Greg Ferguson wrote:

> On Oct 10,  3:55pm, Kevin Cullis wrote:
> > Subject: Cataloging LDP
> > [...]
> > 1  Process
> > 1.1  Linux Development
> > 1.1.1  Theory/Philosophy
> > 1.1.2  Planning: Architect Design/Requirements Gathering
> > 1.1.3  Coding
> > 1.1.4  Compiling
> > 1.1.5  Testing
> > 1.1.6  Release/Acceptance
> > 1.1.7  Maintenance
> > 1.2  Linux User and Administration
> > 1.2.1  Background Information
> > 1.2.2  Pre-installation requirements (chipset or specifications of
> > hardware, etc.)
> > 1.2.3  Installation
> > 1.2.4  Configuration
> > 1.2.5  Maintenance/Tune-up
> > 1.2.6  Troubleshooting
> > 1.2.6.1  Pre- and Post-Dependencies of subject matter ( what items
> > affect it working correctly)
> > 1.2.6.2  Where to go for more info (i.e. to manufacturer for specs)
>
> Kevin -
>
> Please take a look at the work David Merrill (and to some degree
> myself) did which is a categorized list of *HOWTOs*, similar to
> the outline you propose -
>
>     http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/categories.html
>
> Please provide input/comments/etc.
>
> > The one question I have not figured out yet, is how to do a
> > Beginner/Intermediate/Advanced sort of subject matter.  Should we
> > reclassify some things to basics/intermediate/advanced?  Let me know.
>
> Interesting thought. Certainly possible.

As I stated in my previous email:

> I'm currently working on a white paper to be the framework of what I'm
> proposing.  This is only one section of 4 or 5 that I will propose in
> how to organize HOWTOs for ease of use.  My expectation is that once the
> LDP has been cataloged, holes of missing or unwritten documentation will
> show up and maybe someone will get motivated to contribute.  My
> expectation is also that this idea will drive others, i.e. developers,
> to do a better job of documenting their work because their work affects
> the quality of a product because of where they are within the process.
> Think before doing!!!

As you can see, you, David, and I are on the right track, but I'm
proposing something even bigger and more appropriate to the information
which the HOWTOs contain. If you look at the HOWTOs currently set up,
their by index/alphabet.  You/I am proposing another way of finding that
information, via process.  There are 3 more approaches to finding that
information.  My rationale: most people remember things and think
differently and therefore to limit a body of knowledge to just one
approach is to limit answers.  The HOWTOs themselves need this same type
of reengineeting to be beneificial to new Linux users and others.

Now what do you think?

Kevin
begin:vcard
n:Cullis;Kevin
tel;home:720-489-9283
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
adr:;;8285 S Poplar Way #202;Englewood;CO;80112;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:kevincu@orci.com
x-mozilla-cpt:;0
fn:Kevin Cullis