Re: Voila! A compromise!

    Can an author include in a license, a promise on his part to always
    keep the license free?

I don't believe it is possible for a public license can do this.  It
is possible to transfer exclusive rights with a contract, so it should
be possible with a contract to ensure that all versions will be free.

But in the FSF, when people assign copyrights to us, we always agree
that they can keep unlimited nonexclusive rights.  The idea is that
if someone is being so kind as to donate a program to the GNU Project,
we should accept that gift and not follow it with further demands.