Re: Navigation, was Re: Idea : common dir and tree

Dan Scott wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, Greg Ferguson wrote:

> > - Is it just me, or is anyone else annoyed by upper/mixed-case? :-)
> >   I'd personally like to see lower-case used for all the sub-dir names,
> >   but that's simply a personal preference.
>
> It's not just you. I would much rather see all lower-case directory names,
> including the HOWTO directory. It's much more in keeping with ESR's theory that
> the common UNIX directory names evolved and were eroded into easy nubs.

The terseness of Unix is handy to those who know it well but
perhaps less friendy to the majority of our audience.

An example: many believe /usr is short for user and tend to put
user home directories there. I heard that usr originally is short
for "Unix System Resources" but see very few references to this.

> However, if you guys decide to keep "HOWTO" upper-case because it's already
> well known, then please make the subdirectories lower-case. (This has the added
> advantage of keeping the directories in an easy to follow alphabetical order
> via plain-jane "ls" or most FTP clients.)

Again you would have to know what you are looking for. Imagine if
"postscript" was buried between index.html and vlist.html and a dozen
other files? If at least the first letter is capitalised we get the
sub directories at the top of the listing.

Regards,
   Stein Gjoen