Re: [Re: Navigation, ...

Hello all,

talking about the future... Linux is going to grow, and along with it the
documentation.
So far, it is not very user-friendly. If you don't know the command or the
keyword, you're stuck.

Is there any way we could start sorting the documentation by theme instead of
format? Themes could be anything from sys admin to files management, along
with applications, tools, user management, security, integration, or whatever
major area there are. It could also be sorted first by distribution so as to
require them to save their doc under that path...?
I think that sorting by format is useful, but hopefully in not too long all
will be compatible and it won't have that much importance anymore.

Sorting by theme could be done either by putting the docs in different folders
accordingly, or possibly by getting some kind of nomenclature, or any other
way of making it easier for an user to figure out what is available.
When browsing, I know I personally don't care what format it is as long as I
can see that there is a documentation.
I also know that I like to read documentation in a specific area better than
according to the first letter of its name, as it is now.
I hope that in the future, there will be some kind of help system where we can
open the index, and from there find just about anything in a logical sequence,
not just according to the name chosen by the software developer. Kinda to
encourage "surfing" in the documentation... And who knows, maybe someday there
might even be a really good search tool?!?

Cheers,
Rebecca

listmaster@lists.debian.org