Re: Idea : common dir and tree (Rep:Re: Why not create packages?)

Guylhem Aznar wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 19, 2000 at 09:17:47AM +0200, Stein Gjoen wrote:
> > I believe the path for LDP documents would be somewhere below
> >       /usr/share/doc
>
> Currently all the doc is in /usr/doc.
>
> I would like to be sure where we can put and organize our doc.
> /usr/share/doc/ldp or /opt/ldp : either one or the other, I don't care
> as long as it becomes standard.

Traditionally we have used the ./HOWTO which has the nice diplomatic
benefit of letting OSWG HOWTOs in as well. Keeping that makes it
easier to find the documents.

The manpages go into predefined directories so those are clear.

Then there are the guides, where should those go? Here ./LDP might
be a good idea.

Finally (?) there are the sub directories for the various
formats, languages, compression etc.

> BTW do you have an email to get in touch with the FHS guys?

There is a mailing list but response is underwhelming. I mailed
once asking for comments to my Multi Disk HOWTO and got just one
reply. Mailing list info is available at
	http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.0/fhs-list.html

I suspect they will see the LDP subhierarchy as outside the scope
of the FHS.

Regards,
   Stein Gjoen