Re: Why not create packages?

Gary & David wrote:

>     D> Dan York is stepping up to the plate and offering to do the
>     D> work; why not let him?
>
> If Dan has the resources to handle all the 140+ Linux distributions,
> and he wants to host the resulting archive, then I say go for it, but
> my expert opinion is that this is madness.

Ummm... I am willing to *help* with creating packages, but I don't
have the time, resources, or expertise to do it all myself.

I guess I didn't realize that the differences were so severe between
the various RPM-related distros and between Debian and Corel. I
thought that RPMs were basically the same, although admittedly they
put them in potentially different directories.

Perhaps LDP should specify a distribution-neutral location for all
the HOWTOs, such as /opt/doc or /opt/ldp.  Or perhaps this is /usr/doc.
It just seems like there should be a place for them to always reside.
Then the packages could just install into that dir and they could
work across all distros.

And perhaps it's just too much of a pain in the neck.

Regards,
Dan

--
Dan York,  Linuxcare, Inc.