bootable linux cdrom with root filesystem HOWTO

jmcelroy <jmcelroy@dtgnet.com> wrote:
> Would there be interest in a HOW-TO about creating a a bootable
> CDROM containing the root filesystem?

I'm the author of the Bootdisk-HOWTO, which covers creating bootable
diskettes.  I've been getting some questions on how to create a bootable
CDROM, and adding these instructions to my doc is on my TO-DO list.  I've
seen the process described elsewhere but I've been putting off writing up
the instructions until I could test them myself and burn my own.

If you'd like to contribute a section to my doc, it would be welcome.  You
could also check the CDROM-HOWTO and CDROM-burning-HOWTO to see if you'd
fit in there.  Neither of these other docs has instructions on creating a
viable root filesystem from scratch (which is a detailed operation), so if
your approach involves that you may be better off contributing to my doc.
Of course, you're free to do anything you want, including starting your own
doc.

> The instructions will be RedHat specific, But the concepts should work
> for other distributions.

In my opinion HOWTOs shouldn't be distribution-specific.  I'm not sure what
the LDP policy is.

Regards,
-Tom