RE: Updates/changes to the HOWTO template.

Am 10. Jun, 2000 schwäzte Gregory Leblanc so:

Oh a few of us use debian. I personally loathe dpkg, but I've never
learned how to use it :). apt, however, kicks ass :).

I think we should provide a tarball with tools that can change the links
or better yet create patches that can be applied. The patch mechanism is
what debian needs.

It shouldn't be difficult.

#!/usr/bin/perl

use Getops::Long;
GetOptions ('prefix=s' 'relative')

$opt_prefix or $opt_prefix = '/usr/share/doc/HOWTO'; # or whatever is std
$opt_relative and add_code_to_handle_relative_paths; # ;-)

while (<>) {
   s@regex to find (HOWTO) references@$opt_prefix/$1@g;
}

It needs a bit more intelligence than that (like references that end up
broken across multiple lines), but it's a search and replace algorithm, so
it shouldn't be too hard :). We'll need it to provide our own package
anyway.

Adding multiple language support might be a bit more difficult, but should
still be easy, especially if we get help from the package maitainers,
e.g. they give us their requirements.

If the package maitainers then have a Makefile or script they use to build
the packages we could store those, but the package maintainers for the
dists should create the packages. We might even ask that they make them
available for us to mirror on our ftp site.

cioa,

der.hans
--
#  der.hans@LuftHans.com   home.pages.de/~lufthans/   www.Opnix.com