Re: Keep away from proprietary poison!

On Wed, 3 May 2000, Gary Preckshot wrote:

> Francois-Rene Rideau wrote:
>
> >Beware of WP, StarOffice, etc, since they use proprietary formats,
>
> According to the DOC, WP reads and writes SGML, which isn't proprietary.

Good. That's the key. Default format is irrelevant (as long as people
remember to save it off as sgml :).

> >It is NOT a matter of price. WP, soffice, etc, are available free of charge.
> It is a matter of decency.
> We ought to "eat our own dogfood", or else we lose all our credibility
> as a project to document a complete free software system.
>

> Sounds like religion to me. What matter if you get SGML, regardless of
> source. And if WP does a better job than anything else, maybe that's a
> sign that our stuff should be improved. After all, Linux is destined

Well said and correct.

> to replace Windows because it's better, not because you worship it.

But we can still worship it *because* it's better ;-).

> And WP does have the advantage that it runs on the two major platforms
> most people use, Linux and Windows. Since I have four OSs on my
> machine, that's a major consideration.

I agree it's important that we have some support for tools that run on
platforms other than *NIX. I won't use them, but others might need to.
Please post whatever macros you have as GPLd to the list (or better yet
write a HOWTO explaining how to use them and WP to write HOWTOs :). Maybe
we can even get Corel to include them as one of their doc templates. That
would actually be really cool :).

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  der.hans@LuftHans.com   home.pages.de/~lufthans/   www.OpNIX.com
#  Help Jerry Lewis stamp out M$...oops that's MDA - der.hans