Re: two notes

On Fri, Feb 11, 2000 at 06:28:33PM -0500, Deb Richardson wrote:

> Guylhem mentioned automating the LDP submission process.  The easiest
> way to do this is to get that CVS system you've been working on up and
> running.  That way authors can either get accounts and do updates
> themselves, or they can send their updated docs to a central place where
> any one of a number of volunteers with CVS accounts can commit the new
> doc into the tree.  This is how the OSWG deals with it, and it really is
> quite effective.

I think CVS is very good for doing that. And, if history of changes is
of no interest, we might eliminate them periodically, saving
diskspace. Although I think it would be very nice to have a HOWTO's
evolution proccess.

> If/when the LDP does decide to merge the miniHOWTOs in with the HOWTOs,
> I recommend leaving a copy of the miniHOWTOs in their current location
> for a while.  Chances are that there are at least a couple of dozen
> pages out there that link to each of them.  The LDP doc tree structure
> has been around for an awfully long time, and changing that structure is
> not to be taken lightly or done radically & suddenly.  Make it known
> that the /mini dir is deprecated and give folks plenty of time to update
> their links.  I imaging that a year would be sufficient warning.  It
> might seem like a long time, but better to overshoot than underestimate,
> really.

How about making a standard page saying that mini-HOWTOs were merged
in the HOWTO tree? Or a redirect... It's better for the user to know
that a change has occured and them, if he finds it useful, tell the
site administrator that he's link is outdated or making his own
bookmark to the right place.

This structure can remain there for a long period too and, as Deb
suggested, after a year be removed. Broken links should them be
removed or updated if it's of the interest of the page's author.

--
Godoy.	<godoy@conectiva.com.br>               GPG Fingerprint
                                         851B B620 626D 2AD0 E783

Except where explicitly stated I speak on my own behalf.
Exceto onde explicitado as declarações aqui feitas são apenas minhas.