RE: Slashdot reply (draft 0.1)

Oh, darn, sorry about that.  I know who both of you are, and I didn't get
the two of you mixed up, but "van der Walhs" is stuck in my brain from a
chemistry course.  My sincerest appologizies.

> On Fri, Feb 11, 2000 at 12:23:24AM -0800, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
> > <flame>This is really stupid.  I'm sure there's a logic
> behind this, but I
> > can't grasp what it is.  I understand why these were put in
> place, but not
> > why they're still in use.  We should abolish silly
> distinctions to allow
>
> For simplicity.
>
> > LDP/
> > LDP/FAQ/
> > LDP/HOWTO/ (put the actual plain text HOWTO documents here)
> > LDP/HOWTO/DocBook/ (put the DocBook source here)
> > LDP/HOWTO/LinuxDoc/ (put the LinuxDoc source here)
> > LDP/HOWTO/pdf/ (put pdf output here)
> > LDP/HOWTO/ps/ (put PS output here)
> > LDP/HOWTO/tex/ (put tex output here)
> > LDP/HOWTO/html/ (put html output here)
> > LDP/HOWTO/stuff I missed/ (put the stuff I missed here)
> > LDP/GUIDE/
>
> Too complicated.
>
> Even if we know the difference between a FAQ and an HOWTO,
> most ppl take
> this as "documentation".

I don't know if I'd agree with this, but I have no supporting evidence.  The
names seem fairly obvious to me, and if we have a blurb above each section
explaining what that type of document is, then it should be clear enough on
how to find things.  Greg F had a good suggestion with the README.  in
LDP/README it should tell how the directory structure is layed out, and have
an explanation of what a FAQ, HOWTO, GUIDE,  etc are.  Here's a rough sketch
of one for FAQ"
	FAQ stands for Frequently Asked Questions.  Look here if you've got
a question that you want answered, or are looking to find out what the most
common problems and glitches are pertaining to a specific topic.

OK, so that's pretty bad, I can't think of anything better right off.  Then
within LDP/FAQ/ the README file should contain something similar to the
section above, followed by a list of the FAQs that are available.  And so-on
and so-forth with the other things, and perhaps for the formats.

http://www.linuxdoc.org/sorted_howtos.html

> > writing "sexier" (I really don't believe that it's going to
> get me any
> > dates, but what the heck) by helping out with the LDP,
> either by sending
>
> Don't laugh, it got me one in october.
>
> Her brother felt like working for a linux company so she asked me to
> introduce him (it's chocking ! I never saw that before !!!)
>
> > nicest, most efficient code you've ever seen.  I'd have to
> say that /.er's
> > quote isn't appropraite for this follow-up, nor is this statement.
>
> Ok will remove it, but it's exactly my opinion (you can't
> code want you
> can't think)
>
> > > criticize your
> > > HOWTO they didn't even read.
> >
> > I like the re-write that somebody proposed much better than
> this paragraph,
> > it makes it sound like you shouldn't care if somebody
> bashes your HOWTO.
>
> I care if there's a good reason, unfortunately most of the
> time there's
> no reason at all.
>
> Pure flaming for the pleasure (goes to /dev/null BTW)

Ah, now if MS had created a /dev/null so that it could be directed there
before it even left the originating machine, wouldn't life be a lot better?
:)  Later,
	Greg