Re: fyi: site updates

On Wed, Jan 12, 2000 at 09:16:15PM -0800, Tom Fawcett wrote:
> Greg Ferguson <gferg@hoop.timonium.sgi.com> wrote:
> > - created a "volunteers" list which take the place of the old "team"
> >   list (www.linuxdoc.org/vlist.html). Take notice of the substantial
> >   list of those that have contributed content to the LDP.
>
> I just checked the page.  Good lord.

I've also to say the same: Good Lord.

There are missing contributions on this page. In the translation
efforts section, where's Brazilian Portuguese???? We have _lots_ of
documentation translated and the were listed on the prior LDP
site... Our address is http://ldp-br.conectiva.com.br.

The responsible are: Jorge Godoy <godoy@conectiva.com.br>
                     Marcia Gawlak <marcia@conectiva.com.br>
                     Ricardo Guimarães <ricardo@conectiva.com.br>

> Speaking as a mere content provider (ie, author), this looks rather bizarre
> and insulting.  Does the LDP really have such an exaggerated sense of its
> own importance?  Should I be grateful that it sees me as one of the "little
> people" who provide documents for its web pages?

I don't know what to say, but at least they remembered of you.

> Is there another Linux documentation project I can join?  This one does
> nothing for me, as far as I can tell, and I'm tired of its attitude.

For a "Volunteers List", the "Volunteers" themselves are very
insignificant... It would be better a general page without names, just
greeting volunteers and explaining what to do to be a volunteer. And
there should be a page listing volunteers name's and their
contribution to the LDP Project.

Regards,
--
Godoy.	<godoy@conectiva.com.br>               GPG Fingerprint
                                         851B B620 626D 2AD0 E783

Except where explicitly stated I speak on my own behalf.
Exceto onde explicitado as declarações aqui feitas são apenas minhas.