Re: HOWTO vs mini-HOWTO [was: Linux Doc Infrastructure]

On Wed, Jan 12, 2000 at 01:22:59PM +0000, Kim Lester wrote:
> > I don't think it would confuse people, but even so, it would only be those
> > people who are already familiar with the historical distinction. The
> > overwhelming number of people who _need_ the LDP are newcomers to Linux
> > that just want to find the information they need quickly.
>
>   Exactly! Agree 110%
>   Just try explaining why there are HOWTOs and minis to a newbie without
>   finding an example document that contradicts ones point.

Looks like a majority would like the HOWTOs and the mini HOWTOs to be
merged, therefore I suggest we run a poll.

What about a 3 weeks poll where each author can vote :
 1/ Merge the mini HOWTOs with the HOWTOs
 2/ Keep the HOWTOs and the mini HOWTOs separated
 3/ blank

If it's ok, I'll set up a poll address you can send your vote to.
Results will be printed after 3 weeks, which name and vote (ala usenet)

>   It all depends on the book/author's perspective. For any reasonably
>   sized doucmentation set there has to be multiple paths.

The good solutions would be a local search engine which would browse LDP
documentation regardless document names for a content.

--
Guylhem Aznar, Linux Documentation Project: http://www.linuxdoc.org
------>>> Attention, my new email is guylhem \@/ metalab.unc.edu