Union?

On Mon, Oct 25, 1999 at 09:52:12AM +1000, terry@animats.net wrote:
> They seem to have decided on some document standards, have just about
> completed a CVS server, building a HOWTO repository and are discussing
> licensing issues. They even managed to produce a nice logo without
> prizes, in a couple of weeks and with no banner ads.

The CVS server must be a part of the submission and not the only way.
We provide email submission ; ftp and CVS will be operational soon
(BTW Joshua, could you announce some official date? We should start with
a test period.)

For the license, David Lawyer is writing a new manifesto and a license
guide.

As for the "blowing up", I'm currently talking with GNOME documentation
project leader and some other documentation project.

We are discussion an union under "GNU/Linux documentation project" name,
with independant sections like "Linux HOWTO", "Hurd HOWTO", "GNOME
online help", "FAQ", "Guides"... which would become a part of the GNU
project.

Nothing would really change for the Linux HOWTO section, yet it would
bring many advantages.

For example, we could use a *real* standard for documentation, the FSF
could subventionate some projects (like hiring authors for 3 years old
unmaintained HOWTOs), we could have tighter links with software authors,
an knowledge base/index for the whole documentation, we would avoid
duplicating efforts, we could maintain our own apps for the
indexing/browsing, have a coherent Peer Review ("QC" is too harsh)...

What do authors think about that?

I think it is a great opportunity to go on enhancing the Documents, and
fix the causes (over fragmentation, years-old unmaintained HOWTOs...)

--
Guylhem Aznar, Linux Documentation Project: http://www.linuxdoc.org
PGP key: http://oeil.qc.ca/~guylhem ; Email: guylhem \@/ oeil.qc.ca