Re: Informal survey (was Re: Banner ads)

On Sat, Oct 23, 1999 at 10:58:52AM -0700, Jim Pick wrote:
>      [  ] core team's consultation back to rest of project
>           before doing things

I'll take 2 examples : ldp-submit and moving from ldp-l to ldp-discuss.

- ldp-submit was decided after a very short consultation, and was
immediately ready.

- moving from ldp-l to ldp-discuss took month and caused major problems.

When we had no response from metalab, deciding to move to another site
caused many problems, but 2 days later everything was available on
metalab.

I'm not saying we must always act without consultation, but sometimes
you need that, or the problem will never end.

>      [  ] responsiveness to new document submissions

Will watch this one carefully since now everything is processed in less
than 7 days. But it stills needs improvements.

>      [  ] web site design

Cooler. Documentation should be attractive to beginners.

>      [  ] "attitude" of core team

Please develop this.
Evil, nasty, greedy, uncooperative, egoist?

>      [  ] image of LDP project

Improving. Was worst this summer with slashdot articles.

>      [  ] existance of the new public mailing lists
>      [  ] level and quality of discussion on mailing lists

By far better than old private one.

>      [  ] ease of working with project

Improving. ftp will complete ldp-submit soon.

>      [  ] project organization

Should be more formal.

>      [ ] I will no longer be contributing
(...)
>     [ ] Mixed - Including closed source documents

Just tell us if you want the LDP to blow up.

> Yes, let's leave this for Monday.  Perhaps I'll give 3D Technology a
> call them and see if I can sweet talk them into something more low-key
> than a banner ad.  If we had to forgo their prizes, I'm sure I could
> scare up the equivalent from VA or Penguin or somewhere else.

If you can help us finding prizes for contests, and money for expos,
please help us.

--
Guylhem Aznar, Linux Documentation Project: http://www.linuxdoc.org
PGP key: http://oeil.qc.ca/~guylhem ; Email: guylhem \@/ oeil.qc.ca