metadata (was Re: Future goals for LDP, my wish list.)

Paul Jones <pjones@metalab.unc.edu> writes:

> this could be the begining of an (XML perhaps) metadata object that
> would describe the document and its status etc.  believe it or not,
> we're working on that very thing to present to you this week (the
> hurricane slowed us a bit). we in this case is folks from UNC plus
> Kendall and Ismael

This is interesting.  In Debian we need documentation metadata also
for the purposes of providing a directory, on every users' box, of
available documentation.  Add it to a subject catalog and you have the
makings of a very nice system.

Right now we have the docreg format in doc-base, but it's pretty weak.
I've been looking at using Dublin Core, either detached in a separate
file, or embedded (in SGML or even HTML using META tags).

Please show us your working materials if possible!  Maybe we could get
together on this...

An early draft of my spec is at
http://www.debian.org/~aph/debian-metadata.html/